Monday, May 04, 2009

I do so love you mother...

My mom raised my brother and I sans papa and while times were definitely tough she did the best she knew how. I can't imagine not having Travis around to help with our children...parenting is hard work but so worth it!
I remember laying in bed with my mom reading our respective books, hers was usually a romance novel, she's given those up now that she has a wonderful husband. My love of reading comes from her though. She taught me how to cross stitch and tried to teach me how to crochet, sorry mom. Many of my go to meals are the ones my mom cooked for us while growing up. My mom has passed on this recipe for meat Periogies from my grandmother that are the perfect comfort food. Everyone in my family loves them. They take some work but they're worth it in the end. I make a double batch so I can freeze them.
Periogies
Dough
1 egg
3 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c. water
1 1/2 TBS Buttermilk
Mix egg with flour, add salt and as much water needed to make smooth dough ( I always need more water)
Filling
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups leftover meat or 1lb lean ground beef, cooked
2 slices white bread (I use wheat) soaked in water and squeezed.
3 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
Cook bacon, keep drippings. Saute the onion in the bacon drippings until translucent. In a large bowl mix together cooked meat, crumbled bacon, and onion. Tear up the bread and incorporate into mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
Start a large pot with water to boil.
Roll out dough to about 1/4" and cut into squares. The larger the square the bigger the pocket. I usually make mine about 4" to 5" square. Place about 2TBSP of the meat mixture into the center of the pocket. Fold over into a triangle and seal sides. My brother and I always used to do this part and now my kids do it. We use a fork to press down the dough on the two open sides of the triangle. Make sure there are no holes in your pockets. Boil pockets until they float...this happens quickly.
You can either freeze at this point or move on to cook and serve. In a frying pan melt butter and add little olive oil. Pan fry the periogies until golden and serve with sour cream, yogurt, salsa or any combinaton!
ENJOY!
Have a great day.

1 comment:

Jenn D said...

Your card is very pretty and the Pierogies sound fantastic! My grandma used to make Farmer's Cheese ones for us and now my mom makes them. I love all of the fillings from mushrooms, meat and potato and cheese. YUM!